May is both Lupus Awareness Month and Fibromyalgia Awareness Month. As a community of patients and advocates that transcend specific health conditions and embraces everyone living with chronic and rare diseases, we encourage you to take a leadership role in your community in the month of May 2020, and ask your local government to recognize it as Lupus and Fibromyalgia Awareness Month.
All of our coalition partners – groups embedded in their communities and delivering services and assistance to patients – will be participating in this effort. We will soon put up a map lighting up the cities where leaders like you have signed up!
Here’s how to get involved (we have done much of the work for you!):
- Step 1: Contact your local City Council member or County supervisor. It’s a great opportunity to get to know people serving your community, and most of the time, councilmembers are happy to hear from a constituent (that’s you!). We have even written a Sample Email for you so all you have to do is copy, paste and personalize!
- Step 2: Once you get their commitment, work to a) schedule a date to receive it at a City Council meeting and b) send them sample Proclamation text. Once again, you can use this Sample Proclamation text and personalize as well as recognize your group or other groups you think deserve recognition.
- Step 3: Advertise the date of the Proclamation. Keep us apprised of your progress so we can track it in a map.
- Step 4: Try to get a local newspaper or blog to cover the Proclamation.
- Step 5: Receive the proclamation on the scheduled date! This is your moment to shine. Show up with some friends and show them what your leadership made possible. Be sure to let us know and send us a photo!
- Please Complete the form below to let us know you are interested in leading a resolution in your community. You may be connected with other leaders in your community and organizations or groups working for the same goal.
- Are you in? Let us know!